As children, our parents apparently tried to insist that we eat our vegetables and for many children, it was one of the worst things you could do. Being forced to eat vegetables was like some form of child abuse! Little did you know that there is a day dedicated to eating vegetables? Although, if you live a healthy lifestyle, fruits and vegetables are a part of your daily.
National Eat Your Vegetables Day is an additional opportunity to remind people that vegetables are a critical part of healthy eating. Physicians and experts recommend you eat five servings of fruits or vegetables each day.
Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can reduce the risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke and can protect against certain types of cancers. A diet rich in fiber, which includes some fruits and vegetables, may also reduce the risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes!
Of course, a healthy diet with fruits and vegetables combined with exercise can help you live a happier, healthier and longer life!
VEGETABLE FUN FACTS
- Tomatoes are very high in the carotenoid Lycopene, and eating foods with carotenoids can lower your risk of cancer
- Other vegetables high in carotenoids are carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, and collard greens
- The most common bell pepper is the green one, but they can also be red, purple or yellow
- Tomatoes are consumed, in the United States, more than any other single fruit or vegetable
- California produces almost all of the broccoli sold in the United States
- Yams and sweet potatoes are not the same things
- A baked potato (with skin) is a good source of dietary fiber (4 grams)
- Cheese is the most popular ‘cover up’ used by parents to entice their children to eat broccoli and cauliflower
- According to a survey by Ragu pasta sauces the most popular vegetables with children are carrots, peas, cucumber, corn and broccoli
This blog is brought to you by the Team at Meliora! Let us explore the wellness platform 'plan of action' that’s right for your company; we will assist with each step of building the concept to implementation; we work hands-on to find solutions.
Call Bill Johnston TODAY at 817-546-2953 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org - Put our imagination, passion, innovation and creation to work for your company!
We Help You Engage Your Employees - Meliora - In Pursuit of Better